This course takes approximately 24 hours online with additional offline assessment activities
The purpose of this course is to provide participants with the knowledge and skills required to perform first, second and third-party audits of OHSMS against ISO 45001:2018 Occupational health and safety management systems: Requirements with guidance and in accordance with the guidelines outlined in ISO 19011:2018 Guidelines for Auditing Management Systems and to evaluate an organization’s arrangements for identifying hazards, assessing and controlling risks and monitoring and improving the effectiveness of the management of OHS. Participants will also be provided with knowledge of safety management system standards, and specifically, auditing against the international standard ISO 45001 Awareness of auditing compliance with applicable OHS legislative requirements and/or industry specific accreditation or specification systems against agreed benchmarks is also included. The simple premise of this course is that participants will be able to conduct an OHS management system audit following;
- The audit process described in ISO 19011
- Using the audit criteria detailed in ISO 45001 and
- Applying the risk approach defined by ISO 31000
Gain the necessary knowledge and skills for auditing management systems in accordance with the guidelines outlined in the ISO 45001:2018 Standard. This course focuses not only on the core auditing skills but also on communication and reporting skills which can help the Lead Auditor achieve success in the audit. This course uses a scenario-based approach to explain the complexities of a risk-based Work health & safety / Occupational health & Safety management systems audit.
The course will explain important concepts related to Health & Safety:
- Management Standards
- Legislation and Regulations
- Risk and Risk Management
- Performance Evaluation
By completing this course participants will be able to:
- Understand the application of ISO 45001 to an OHSMS.
- Understand and explain how the PDCA framework relates to the process approach promoted in ISO 45001.
- Prepare and plan to conduct an audit on an organizations OHS Management System.
- Systematically examine a OHS Management System against the audit criteria ISO 45001.
- Undertake audit activities including gathering objective evidence against ISO 45001.
- Audit and evaluate an organization’s OHS performance
- Learn and apply risk management techniques to identify OHS issues
- Write a report to senior management about the results of an audit with clear conclusions and findings statements
Important Note: consistent with the international standard ISO 45001:2018 this document refers to OH&S to describe occupational health and safety. This terminology is inclusive of the use of work health and safety (OHS) and/or occupational safety and health (OHS), as appropriate to the applicable region and/or jurisdiction where this course is being delivered. The use of OHS is used by accreditation and certification bodies when referring to units of competency.
There are no entry requirements for this course. However it is assumed that participants have a good working knowledge of ISO 45001:2018 and are employed in a relevant OHS or WHS role and have access to an organization to conduct workplace-based assessment tasks in order to gain the nationally recognized units of competency. SAI Global has a number of non-accredited introductory ISO 45001 courses to assist participants to develop a fundamental skills and knowledge of ISO 45001:2018. It is recommended that this course is completed following completion of the:
- Online ISO 45001:2018 Foundation course
- Online Auditing an ISO 45001:2018 OHS Management System
This course is designed for people who need to conduct external audits of management systems.
- Individuals who want to become Exemplar Global certified
- Exemplar Global certified auditors or lead auditors in ISO 45001 standard
- Management Representatives, Engineers and Consultants.
- Individuals who want to become Internal Auditors or Third-Party Auditors
- Individuals who want to obtain a formal qualification
- Individuals leading their companies to ISO 45001 standard Certifications
Upon successful completion of the Online Knowledge Assessment and workplace Assessment Activities this course issues the below TPECS competency unit which is certified by Exemplar Global.
Certificate of Attainment
- Exemplar Global – AU – Management systems auditing
- Exemplar Global – TL – Leading Management Systems Audit Teams
- Exemplar Global OH 45001 – Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems
Note: access to a workplace is required to complete the assessment.
If you would like to recognize skills and knowledge acquired through informal learning such as work or life experience, we can assess your skills and knowledge through Recognition of Prior Learning pathway. For more information contact the customer support team (877) 426-0714 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Upon completion of this course, participants should be able to:
Explain the purpose of an occupational health and safety management system.
- Explain the purpose of occupational health and safety management system standards.
- Explain the purpose of management system audit.
- Explain the purpose of third-party certification, and the business benefits of improved performance of the occupational health and safety management system.
- Explain the role of an auditor to plan, conduct, report and follow up an occupational health and safety management system audit in accordance with ISO 19011 and ISO/IEC 17021, as appropriate.
- Plan, conduct, report and follow-up an audit of an occupational health and safety management system to establish conformity (or otherwise) with ISO 45001, and in accordance with ISO 19011 and ISO/IEC 17021 where appropriate.
Upon completion of the Online assessment, participants will receive the below TPECS competency units which is certified by Exemplar Global:
Certificate of Attainment
- Exemplar Global – OH 45001 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems
- Exemplar Global – AU – Management systems auditing
- Exemplar Global – TL – Leading management systems audit teams
At the successful completion of the post-course assessment, participants will receive:
Statement of Attainment
What standards are relevant to this course?
ISO 45001:2018 Occupational Health and Safety
What accreditation or recognition does this course have?
Upon successful completion of the course assessments you will receive two Statement of Attainments with Nationally Recognized units of competency and a Certificate of Attainment for Exemplar Global units.
Does this course have any assessment requirements?
A post-course assessment is also included when the online course is purchased. This post course assessment covers the nationally recognized units of competency and requires participants to have access to a workplace, including personnel involved in areas to be evaluated and organisational documentation, information and data.
How do I access my certificate?
Your certificate will be sent to you electronically upon completion of the course.
What other courses are relevant to this course?
Other relevant courses that build on the knowledge and skills gained in this course include;
- Implementing an ISO 45001:2018 Management System
- ISO 45001:2018 OHS Risk Management
- Online ISO 45001:2018 Foundation
- Online Auditing an ISO 45001:2018 Management System
- Online Lead Auditor Training
How long does the course take to complete?
We estimate the average student will take approximately 3 days to complete the online component and offline activities.
What are the IT requirements?
Windows users should have access to Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10. Browsers that can be used include; IE10, IE11, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Safari. This course is compatible with tablets.
Who do I contact in case of any query regarding this course?
For any course-related queries, please email customer support at email@example.com